linguistics Topic: English as a New Language
• Interview someone who is learning English as a new or second language. • What aspects of English do they find easy?
• What aspects are most difficult?
• Expression? Comprehension?
• What sorts of challenges have they experienced?
• Let the person provide examples and organize them into areas of pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, semantics, and social/cultural functions and references. Be sure to tie your discussion into Edward Finegan, Steven Pinker or other readings.
• Your final activity can take the form of an 8 pages paper or a brief project. Your instructor can provide you with additional sources/readings. (linguistics)