The purpose of this project is to evaluate claims and practice completing Employee Claim forms.
Course Outcomes met by this project:
• Gather information from various sources and utilize forms and documents to support client goals
• Identify and analyze issues related to workers compensation
• Research workers compensation law, draft legal writings, complete workers compensation forms
Please refer to Project 1 in week 2 and Learning Activity and Project 3 in week 3 for background and details regarding Howard’s case.
Karver previously filed Issues of permanency for John Howard and represented him at the hearing. Howard’s permanency ratings were 25% by Howard’s doctor, and 0% by the IME (Insurer/Independent Medical Exam). Following the hearing, the Workers Compensation Commission issues an award of 14% permanency.
Howard has consulted with Karver with several questions. Karver has asked you to prepare a summary of answers to Howard’s questions.
1. How much money will Howard receive from the 14% permanency award for his back injury? Calculate 14% award for the 2020 injury with an AWW (Average Weekly Wage) of $500.00. Show the math calculations.
2. How much money would Howard have received for a 15% permanency award for his back injury? Calculate the 15% award for the 2020 injury with an AWW of $500.00. Show the math calculations.
3. How much money would Howard have received for a 14% permanency award for his injury with an AWW of $300 per week? Calculate the 14% award for the 2018 back injury with an AWW of $300. Show the math calculations.
Label the questions.
After receiving the 14% permanency award for his back injury, Howard decided not to appeal the award.
A few years later,Howard has again consulted with Karver about his case. Howard reported that his back injury has worsened, necessitating surgery and more physical therapy. His doctor has now given him a higher rating of 40% permanency for his back injury.
Karver wants to modify the case to request additional permanent partial disability.
She has tasked you to complete the modification form.
Print and complete the form to be submitted to the Workers Compensation Commission for approval.
Scan the completed form and post in the Assignment folder If you have problems scanning the document, please contact the Professor.
Karver tasks you with completing the Request for Modification form and the Issues form to accompany her request for additional permanent partial disability for Howard.
Print and complete the Request for Modification form and the Issues form to be submitted to the Workers Compensation Commission for approval.
Scan the completed forms and post in the Assignment folder If you have problems scanning the documents, please contact the Professor.
Karver has met again with Karver and told her he is unhappy with this permanency award of 14%. He really wanted to receive a 15% or higher permanency award and wants to appeal the 14% award.
Karver has asked you write a report summarizing any appeal rights available for Howard.
Respond to each of the following regarding a possible appeal for Howard.
1. Can Howard now appeal, or does he have to just be satisfied with the decision of the Workers Compensation Commission? Explain why.
• Identify and list the Code section that you rely upon for your conclusions in #1 above.
2. Assuming Howard can appeal, is there a time frame or time period within which he must file the appeal?
3. Howard lives in Prince George’s County in Maryland but works in Montgomery County. His employer has offices in Montgomery County and Baltimore County.
In what County or Counties can Howard file an appeal?
• Identify and list the Code section that is applicable in the decision on the County/Counties in which Howard can file an appeal.
Label all parts of report.
Review the Project Before Submitting It
Thoroughly read the presentation to ensure all required elements are present.
Review the grading rubric to ensure that you gain the most points possible for this assignment.