E-BOOK: Family Health Care Nursing: Theory, Practice, and Research, 5th Edition – 2 Year Option
Chapter 3 focuses on using family theory to develop critical and creative thinking to support and implement family interventions in a health event or family situation. This chapter lays the groundwork for theory-guided, evidence based family nursing practice. Remember family units can be defined in many different ways. Think beyond biological and consider social and community networks as “family” for your patients.
Potential issues to research for your literature review would include alcoholism, chronic disease, chronic grief, death of a loved one, dementia, stroke, domestic violence, mental illness, or obesity. If your topic is multifaceted, select one aspect of your topic for this paper.
Select a family theory that interests you. The problem will be the focus of your literature review for your paper where you will utilize scholarly, peer-reviewed articles or research papers that discuss this problem and how it should be managed. Utilize at least 3 scholarly articles for this paper.
1. Provide a brief background on your selected family issue, situation, or health event
2. Provide an overview of your theory and include key concepts of your theory such as who is the individual, family, organization, or society that your family theory focuses on
3. Describe and analyze the family theory, discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the theory, include how this theory can be applied to your identified problem
4. Provide a summary of your findings, include what you learned, what more needs to be known about this problem and how it affects families
Use APA format throughout the paper. There are software programs that can help you to correctly and effortless format your paper in APA format, including running header, title page, and references. PERRLA software is inexpensive and user friendly. If writing is not your strength, get started on your paper early and send it to the Online Writing Center for editing help.
The body of your paper needs to be 3-4 pages long. This does NOT include the title page and reference page. Papers that are more than 4 pages long will not be accepted.
It is important to cite sources to support your ideas and also cite when your ideas are not original thoughts. When citing a source, you will need to use in-text citations. Do not quote unless absolutely necessary. Quotations should be rare or non-existent in this paper.
See two fictitious examples below on how you can use in-text citations that follow APA guidelines:
- According to Stuart and Thomas (2016) chronic grief is associated with episodes of family distress and dysfunction.
- Chronic grief is associated with episodes of family distress and dysfunction (Stuart & Thomas, 2016).
A minimum of two (2) scholarly, peer reviewed articles are needed for your literature review portion of this paper. The articles you use should not be abstracts or editorials. They should be full text articles. Additional articles may be needed to support your views and your analysis of the theory. Lastly, you need to cite the author of your family theory each time you discuss the theory.