This week, you will facilitate a usability test of your revised high-fidelity prototypes with 3 users..
I’m trying to learn for my Writing class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
- Find at least three representative users from your target population.
- Prepare briefing and tasks, which may be the same ones from your paper prototype testing, but improve them based on feedback you obtained.
- Do a pilot test of your briefing and tasks before you test with real users.
- Run the usability test by providing your briefing and giving your tasks one at a time.
- Observe and take notes, again paying attention to critical errors.
- Ask each user to fill out a debriefing questionnaire asking how they liked the system and what problems or misunderstandings they had.
- Collect the usability problems into a list. Assign a severity rating for each problem (1 = Cosmetic problem only: need not be fixed unless there’s extra time 2 = Minor usability problem: fixing this should be given low priority 3 = Major usability problem: important to fix, so should be given high priority 4 = Usability catastrophe: imperative to fix this before product can be released)
- Think of possible solutions to the problems.
- Reflect on what you learned while doing the iterative design process. For future efforts, how would you change the process? Discuss in terms of risk assessment, decision-making regarding features to prototype and how you evaluated results of your testing.
Deliverables and Grading (100 points):
- Briefing and tasks – 10 points
- Describe how you conducted your usability test. Describe your users and how much they represent your target user population. Describe how the users were briefed and what tasks they performed. – 20 points
- Post-questionnaire – 10 points
- Analysis of results – 20 points
- Usability problems and possible solutions – 30 points
- Reflections on the iterative design process – 10 points
This week, you will facilitate a usability test of your revised high-fidelity prototypes with 3 users.